Saturday 1 January 2011

Challenging the obvious

It is strange to consider that out of my choices in life, it is not drinking alcohol that is most contested.

Every day I edge just a tiny bit closer to becoming a militant vegan, pressing my opinion firmly into the face of ignorance and shouting "Look! Look what you are doing! This isn't right!". But people don't seem to mind that too much.

No. Instead what they find most difficult to comprehend is not drinking. It seems to reach down to their core and ask questions they'd rather went un-asked. Why do we drink? Can I enjoy life without? Am I addicted?

Thinking about it, I use the argument of nature to defend my diet. They way we get our meat, our eggs or our milk is as far removed from nature as it can be. It is a factory process born of cruelty and a taboo subject to a lot of people. But a vegan diet in itself is not natural. Alcohol on the other hand, is synthetic by its nature. Alcohol does occur naturally, but not in the quantities we drink it. It slows thought, numbs senses and limits control. It is a posoin slowly killing a lot of people.

So it seems odd. Out of the two, not drinking seems the most obvious choice to make. But it remains the most confrontational lifestyle decision.

Jus' sayin.

No comments:

Post a Comment