Sunday 23 January 2011

Suffered a bout of Vegan rage today, not fun. Finding it increasingly difficult not to scream at people "Wake up! What the hell are you doing?!" Whenever they come out of burger king or start picking apart the entire carcass of a quail right in front of me.

How can it be right at all? One second admiring the beauty of animals in a zoo, moments later devouring something dead in a bun.

Sure its natural, we evolved eating meat yah yah yah... but we didn't evolve eating meat that was pre-packaged and processed to oblivion, or kept in a cage for the duration of its short life and killed effortlessly and without remorse as and when demanded. It's all so wrong and very few of us care.

I realise that in places this is a very personal attack on individuals I spent the weekend with, but that's not how I mean it to be. It's just the creeping realisation that people I like are just as thoughtless on this subject as all the others.

In my defense, most people I know have attacked me in some way for my choice. Not all of them I have to say, but a lot. Whether it's teasing me, mocking my weight, boasting about how much they love meat or just carelessly alienating me, I feel like I put up with a lot. But I have NEVER retaliated. Until now I have always gone by the rule that I'm happy with my choice and they can do what they want.

From now on that changes. I can cope with the careful skirting round the subject of some or the unintentional offenses of others, but if anyone teases me directly I am standing my ground. A lot of people are fine with it and live by the same rule I try to anyway. But anyone who tries to put me down or belittle me for what I'm doing can simply expect a strong defense.

To summarise, the next person that wafts a burger at me laughing heartlessly and babbling something completelty idiotic like "mmmm.... dead cow" had better quickly figure out why we're friends. This isn't going to make me popular at all, but I'm drawing a line.

I'm going to try being on the offensive for a change.

At least I have some fucking morals.

No comments:

Post a Comment